Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I want to counsel patients about nutrition – is the M.S. program right for me?
    The Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) credential is the best training for those who want to practice nutrition counseling. This credential can be earned through the Nutritional Sciences program. For details, email
  2. I want to pursue a Masters while completing the requirements to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), do you have a combined program?
    Yes, you can pursue both credentials simultaneously. For details, email
  3. Do I have to obtain my M.S. before I apply for the Ph.D. program?
    No, if you have earned a 4 year college degree, and you are sure that you want to pursue the Ph.D., you can apply directly to the Ph.D. program.
  4. I am interested in nutrition, but I don't have a strong science background. What do you recommend?
    I suggest that you take basic undergraduate-level coursework in biology (2 semesters with lab, general chemistry (two semesters with lab), organic chemistry (at least one semester), and biochemistry. Course in physiology and cell biology are helpful. Then, you can apply to our graduate program in nutritional sciences.
  5. I am a biology major but have never taken a nutrition course. Am I eligible for graduate study in nutrition?
    Yes --you have an excellent background for pursuing graduate work in nutrition. Our program does not require any prior knowledge of nutrition per se.